Our Males and Females

-     

Genre: Drama, Short
Year Released: 2023
Runtime: 11m
Director(s): Ahmad Alyaseer
Writer(s): Ahmad Alyaseer, Rana Alyaseer
Cast: Kamel El Basha, Shafeqa Al-Tal, Moataz Allabadi, Sana Saleh
Where To Watch: 2023 Slamdance Film Festival Premiere. Screen this and more at Slamdance Film Festival

RAVING REVIEW: Just how much impact can an 11-minute film have? You’re about to find out with this exceptional film about love, loss, and understanding in a society that makes it hard for you to change the norm. This film could almost have been entirely silent and still pull the same emotional heartstrings.

Despite its short runtime, our MALES AND FEMALES pack a lot of emotional depth and complexity, leaving the audience wanting more. The film's exploration of gender identity, family, and religion is incredibly impactful and thought-provoking, and the performances from the actors are raw and moving. The father's journey is particularly compelling as he struggles to come to terms with the loss of his child and navigate societal prejudices. The mother's struggle is also palpable, as she is torn between her conservative beliefs and her love for her child. The film's cinematography, with its muted color palette and stark imagery, adds to the story's emotional weight.

The film's short runtime may be a limitation, but it also serves as a powerful storytelling device. The film's brevity forces the audience to focus on the essential elements of the story and allows for an emotional punch that may have been lost in a longer film. However, the short runtime also leaves the audience wanting more and leaving them with a sense of longing. The film's portrayal of a family struggling with the aftermath of a tragic loss is emotionally charged and profoundly moving, and it's a story that could be explored further. This is a battle that I don’t think has an answer any longer, and the impact could have been lost.

In conclusion, OUR MALES AND FEMALES is a powerful and thought-provoking film that packs a lot of emotional depth and complexity in its short runtime. The movie is an excellent example of how much can be shown in an 11-minute runtime. Despite the limitations of the film's short runtime, it leaves a lasting impression on the viewer, sparking meaningful conversations about acceptance, understanding, and the importance of family. It is a must-watch film for anyone interested in thought-provoking and powerful cinema.

For more reviews and my YouTube channel, please visit linktr.ee/Overlyhonestmoviereviews

Follow me on Letterboxd, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. Find my social media accounts on most platforms simply by searching Overly Honest Movie Reviews.

I’m always happy to hear from my readers; please say hi or send me any questions about movies.

[photo courtesy of ALYASEER PRODUCTIONS]